“We unfortunately need to make a significant reduction to the size of the recruiting organisation,” Brian Ong, Google’s recruiting vice president reportedly told employees in a video meeting. “It’s not something that was an easy decision to make, and it definitely isn’t a conversation any of us wanted to have again this year,” Ong said. “Given the base of hiring that we’ve received the next several quarters, it’s the right thing to do overall,” he added.
He added that the employees who are impacted by the job cuts will start receiving emails from Wednesday, September 13. Ong also said that employees hit in the latest layoffs will retain access to offices this week and online systems for longer. Employees had previously criticised the company for abruptly cutting off access to those who lost their jobs in January.
In January, this year, Alphabet-owned Google announced it was cutting 12,000 jobs, affecting roughly 6% of the full-time workforce. The job cuts happened across the company, including in Google’s recruiting organisation. These layoffs were also across geographies. Google India is reported to have terminated more than 400 employees.
Has been cutting expenses
Google has been on a cost cutting drive. During Google’s July earnings call, CEO Sundar Pichai said the company was continuing to slow its “expense growth and pace of hiring.” In a bid to further reduce costs, the company recently asked employees who returned to work to share their work desks with a “partner”.
Google is also reported to have gone for measures such as cutting down on free snacks and workout classes for its existing employees. According to an internal memo that surfaced online recently, the company has also discontinued spending on personal equipment like laptops.